Re: Instances of visor us devices are not deleted (2.6.9-rc4-mm1)

From: Norbert Preining
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 06:44:48 EST

Hi Greg!

On Mit, 20 Okt 2004, Greg KH wrote:
> Hm, no it isn't. Are you sure that userspace doesn't still have the
> device nodes open? If they do, the ttyUSB number will not be released
> until that happens.

Ah, ok. So the culprit is gnome-pilot listening for HotSync events.

I thought that as soon as the unit/usb device is disconnected, also the
device numbers are released.

But then: How to cope with problems like this? REcurring plugging and
unplugging and a program listening to this?

Is it possible to have
/dev/pilot -> /dev/ttyUSB1
and gnome-pilot opens /dev/pilot. Will then every new hot sync also
create other devices?

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universität Wien