Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U8

From: Florian Schmidt
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 07:51:38 EST

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:45:08 +0200
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/realtime-preempt-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U8

Hi,

i just wanted to let you know that with U8 i still experience the "pauses" i
reported on U6, too. I would guess that it's some scheduler thing as jackd
running SCHED_FIFO and all its clients (at least the audio threads running
SCHED_FIFO) are not affected by the pauses (i don't see any xruns from jackd
and audio processing happily goes along without audible dropouts).

Also it seems that /proc/sys/kernel/trace_enabled == 1 is not the only thing
being able to trigger the pauses. With U6 i also experienced them with
trace_enabled == 0. I have to add though that it took quite a while for them
to kick in (hours) after setting trace_enabled to 0. So my conclusion is
that trace_enabled == 1 just increases the probability of such pauses by
several magnitudes (with 1 i get about one of these pauses per 2-10 minutes,
with 0 it took several hours for the first pause to occur and then they
stayed less frequent than with 1).

Ah and i forgot: dmesg -n 1 does not help..

flo