Re: Linux v2.6.9... (compile stats)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 19:46:28 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

drivers/scsi/pcmcia: 3 warnings, 0 errors
drivers/scsi: 148 warnings, 0 errors

Mostly dealt with, but I'm still messing with SATA parts.

Jeff had SATA patches - it needs to use the new iomap interfaces, and then
it's much cleaner. I tested that his patches worked for me several weeks
ago, but nor all architectures had the iomap interface, so I assume Jeff
wasn't very eager to push it out.

Anyway, Al, talk to Jeff. Jeff?

Current patch is at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/patch.iomap.bz2

I still merging stuff, so won't get around to it for another day or so :)

I certainly don't mind anyone stealing the task from me, but the effort is larger than the other iomap conversions. The patch above hits all the easily-picked fruit, leaving the stuff that requires a modicum of effort:

* map/unmap N PCI bars (N >= 4, per controller)
* map/unmap 2 ISA I/O regions (0x170, 0x1f0)
* accurately handle the odd situation where IDE driver steals 0x170 while libata steals 0x1f0 (or vice versa), a.k.a. the reason for quirk_intel_ide_combined() and the ____request_resource nastiness

Currently the code is set up to handle:
* N PIO ports
or
* a single MMIO address that contains all the registers the driver needs
(mmio_base)