Re: Linux v2.6.9... (compile stats)

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 21:10:13 EST

viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 08:29:59PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

I still merging stuff, so won't get around to it for another day or so :)

I certainly don't mind anyone stealing the task from me, but the effort is larger than the other iomap conversions. The patch above hits all the easily-picked fruit, leaving the stuff that requires a modicum of effort:

* map/unmap N PCI bars (N >= 4, per controller)
* map/unmap 2 ISA I/O regions (0x170, 0x1f0)
* accurately handle the odd situation where IDE driver steals 0x170 while libata steals 0x1f0 (or vice versa), a.k.a. the reason for quirk_intel_ide_combined() and the ____request_resource nastiness

Currently the code is set up to handle:
* N PIO ports
or
* a single MMIO address that contains all the registers the driver needs
(mmio_base)

Hmm... It misses a bunch of easy stuff, actually (tons of casts to void *
from what used to be unsigned long and is void __iomem * with your patch).

feel free to send a delta :)

I don't see where you handle PIO stuff, though - no ioport_map() _or_
pci_iomap() in sight.

Correct, that part doesn't exist yet. grep in the above quoted text for "* map/unap" for the to-do list.

The mapping of the PIO PCI BARs requires independently mapping at least 5 (but varies from controller to controller) IO port ranges, and tracking those mappings in a coherent manner.

Jeff