Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Kurt Wall
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 21:28:53 EST

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 06:02:51PM -0400, Timothy Miller took 163 lines to write:
> I've brought this up the following subject before on LKML, but it wasn't
> really resolved, and also, management at my company (Tech Source) has
> only now started to warm up to my idea.

[long snip]

> So, here are some questions to answer:
>
> (1) Would the sales volumes of this product be enough to make it worth
> producing (ie. profitable)?

Hard to say. My crystal ball doesn't work any better than yours.

> (2) How much would you be willing to pay for it?

It depends. I'd probably be willing to drop $100 USD on such a card simply
to vote with my wallet what my priorities and values are.

> (3) How do you feel about the choice of neglecting 3D performance as a
> priority? How important is 3D performance? In what cases is it not?

For most of what I do, 3-D is irrelevant. It makes nice eye candy, but
that's about it. For games, hardware-accelerated 3-D is more or less
required.

> (4) How much extra would you be willing to pay for excellent 3D performance?

An extra $100 USD. For superior 3-D performance (and a buttload of RAM on
the card), I'd go an extra $200.

> (5) What's most important to you, performance, price, or stability?

Stability, followed by performance. I'm less price sensitive than I used to
be.

Regards,

Kurt