Re: [RFC] Structural changes for Documentation directory

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Oct 20 2004 - 21:35:06 EST

Jim Nelson <james4765@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I propose changing the structure of the Documentation directory to
> reflect the structure of the kernel sources itself.

That sounds like a bit of overdesign, really. Take it one step at a time.

Sure, if you're really prepared to do a large-scale overhaul then the first
step is to create a new top-level directory, say
"./non-crappy-Documentation" and then move files over into there as they
are fixed up. That way we have a good handle on what is done and what
remains. You can then make decisions about the directory structure
on an incremental basis as you become more familiar with the problem.

> Perhaps it would be best to put the new tree in place and have the
> individual maintainers relocate their documentation to the new
> structure?

Maintainers studiously ignore the Documentation directory. If someone
really wishes to get in there and fix it all up, that person gets to decide
what goes where and that person gets to harrass various other maintainers
when assistance is needed.