Re: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 01:01:58 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

The whole point is that it doesn't break the *documented* interface.

I'm talking about returning -1, EIO.

Ah. By "it", I thought you meant the current performance optimizations, not the EIO. My apologies.

I think returning EIO is suboptimal, as it is not an expected error value for recvmsg(). (It's not listed in the man pages for recvmsg() or ip.) It would certainly work for new apps, but probably not for many existing binaries.

On the other hand, if you simply do the checksum verification at select() time for blocking sockets, then the existing binaries get exactly the behaviour they expect.

Chris