Re: Linux v2.6.9 (Strange tty problem?)

From: Paul Fulghum
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 08:27:59 EST

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 04:07, Alan Cox wrote:
> Thats a PPP LCP conf request as far as I can decode it. You've got
> a stuck pppd somewhere - thats a minor bug in 2.6.9rc and 2.6.9 that got
> introduced by the tty changes. I'll try and fix it ASAP if Paul doesn't
> beat me to it.

I'm just about to start.

I was thinking a reasonable solution would be
to queue work in tty_do_hangup() if ldisc->hangup()
is not defined (== NULL) to switch the ldisc back to N_TTY.

It looks like Alan may have tried something similar
with tty_deferred_ldisc_switch(N_TTY).

If tty_set_ldisc() is called before the work runs
then the work is cancelled. This also cancels
the work if close is called before it runs.
(close sets back to N_TTY anyways)

This restores the original behavior for
devices that have not yet implemented ldisc->hangup()
and should work with the new locking.

--
Paul Fulghum
paulkf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx