Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 09:48:18 EST

Kasper Sandberg wrote:
well.. while i like this idea, i doubt it is ever going to work, since
3d would probably be a requirement, and with stuff like nvidia around, i
doubt most people would want to pay the money it would require, since
ati and nvidia can smash out millions of cards, while it would probably
be at best, a couple of thousands of these opensource cards that could
be sold, i, for one would like to pay, however i dont think mainstream
will... and as of for 2d only, well :| i kindof needs 3d :(
but certainly a good idea, and maybe in future, if linux grows more
used, it will actually be possible to do something real kicking ass ;)

Perhaps typical end users are not our target market. Instead, maybe we should be targeting companies that sell workstations and servers who want something which maximized stability, regardless of the cost and performance.

If you're selling a $5000 workstation, you might be willing to pay $300 for a graphics card that saves you thousands in customer support calls that don't have to happen.