RE: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: John Ripley
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 12:53:29 EST

It would also really reduce the cost and effort involved in producing the
card. It wouldn't take much (heh) to get it up and running as a simple frame
buffer + blitter, but it could be scaled to do fancy multi-texture ops over
time - all just by reprogramming the FPGA. All the manufacturer needs to
provide is a "getting started" FPGA file and output to a video DAC. The
community would do the rest over time.

I think "Open" hardware is one thing, but open *and* completely
reprogrammable is a far greater hook, at least for me. I'd be prepared to
shell out a few $100 for something as hackable as that. Hey, it's an FPGA on
a PCI Express card at the end of the day, what can't you do with it!

- John Ripley