Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: "Fernando O. Korndörfer"
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 23:06:55 EST

Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:

OK - so the answer seems to be "if it does the right things, then it may sell" It's hard to sell a card that doesn't do good 3D these days (re: Matrox Parhelia). Speaking of the parhelia, I would look at that feature set as a starting point. 10-bit color, multiscreen accelerated 3D, dual DVI, gamma corrected glyph antialiasing, etc.

So, let's try to figure out the right feature set. (that is what was originally asked for, after all)

What I would like to have is a card thar plays nice with weird extended VGA text modes like 132x60 and good refresh rates. Most cards don't support it and I'm stuck with a 80x25 terminal (and I don't like the slow frame buffer modes) or the refresh sucks so much that my eyes bleed. Good 2D performance and quality is also required for desktop stuff like browsing, coding, DVD, etc.

\m/