Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Kendall Bennett
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 23:26:53 EST

Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have heard a lot of complaints from embedded people about having
> few choices for graphics chips. Many of the low end chips from
> ATI/NVidia are no longer in production and you are forced into
> buying more chip than you want. You should ask about this on
> embedded developer lists.

Most embedded customers care less about overall performance of the
graphics hardware but more about low cost, low power and longevity. That
is the reason that ATI committed to continue production of the Radeon
Mobility M1 for many years to come. That is also the reason the Chips &
Tech (now Asiliant) 6900 chipset is so popular for embedded customers,
because they have been using the same hardware for years (but now that
the 69000 is winding down, many are moving to the Mobility M1).

So the biggest hurdle with selling a solution such as this to the
embedded market is going to be customer confidence that if they invest
the time and energy building a solution around a particular chip, that
the chip will still be around for them to purchase from the suppler in 5-
7 years time. If the company is small and not well known, that might be a
problem.

Then again if the solution is 'Open' so that the customer could second
source it from a different vendor, you may get a lot of traction in the
embedded space. So that might be an angle to play.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~