Re: Linux 2.6.9-ac3

From: Luc Saillard
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 08:34:32 EST

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 02:34:55PM +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> Luc Saillard <luc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I know this problem, but without a user API like ALSA, each driver need to
> > implement the decompression module. When the driver will support v4l2, we can
> > return the compressed stream to the user land. I want a v4l3, which is
> > designed as ALSA does for soundcard, with a API for userland and kernelland.
>
> Why not use gstreamer as a userland API ? You deliver compressed video
> through v4l2, then write a decompression plugin specific to your
> chipset.

Because i don't know very well gstreamer and not a lot of applications are
use it. But i can try to produce a plugin for it, but i don't know a lot of
application (video) that use gstreamer. I can try to make a plugin for
gstreamer, i'll put on my TODO.

I try gstreamer with amarok to play sound using alsa, and this does't work
(segfault). Gstreamer seems too big to be the default for every applications,
think that you can put a webcam on a top appliance, with little memory, space
disk, and NO XML :-)

Luc