Re: Gigantic memory leak in linux-2.6.[789]!

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 22:56:48 EST

Kristian Sørensen wrote:

Anyway - How does this work in practice? Does the file system implementation use a wrapper for kfree or?

When an app faults in new memory and there is no unused memory, the system will page out apps and/or filesystem data from the page cache so the memory can be given to the app requesting it.

Is there any way to force instant free of kernel memory - when freed?

It's not free, it's in use by the page cache. This is a performance feature--we try and keep around as much stuff as possible that might be needed by running apps.

Else it is quite hard testing for possible memory leaks in our Umbrella kernel module ... :-/

Such is life. As a crude workaround, on a swapless system you can start one or two memory hogs and they will force the system to free up as much memory as possible.

Chris