Re: The naming wars continue...

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 01:29:42 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

More importantly, maybe we could all realize that it isn't actually that big of an issue ;)

Linus

Linus I agree it isn't a huge issue. The main thing for me is that
I could just give a _real_ release candidate more testing - run it
through some regression tests, make sure it functions OK on all my
computers, etc. I expect this would be helpful for people with large
sets of regression tests, and maybe those maintaining 'other'
architectures too.

I understand there's always "one more" patch to go in, but now that
we're doing this stable-development system, I think a week or two
weeks or even three weeks to stabalize the release with only
really-real-bugfixes can't be such a bad thing.

2.6.x-rc (rc for Ridiculous Count) can then be our development
releases, and 2.6.x-rc (rc for Release Candidate) are then closer
to stable releases (in terms of getting patches in).

Optionally, you could change Ridiculous Count to PRErelease to avoid
confusion :)

Other than that I don't have much to complain about... so keep up the
good work!

Nick