Re: 2.6.9-mm1

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 15:32:54 EST

Hilzinger Marcel wrote:

Too late, perhaps... SuSE Linux 9.2 will contain reiser4 (at least the
beta testversions did). It cannot be set up via YaST during installation,

which makes its user base pretty small. 9.3 is where we will probably get a lot of users. Probably more bugs will get found by the SuSE QA team in the next few weeks though, and that should help us.

The one I am wanting to precede regarding shipping is Lindows where we will be the default. Reiser4 is pretty stable now, but if we got into the kernel now we'd have a few weeks of bug finding before they ship, and I just bet there will be a few bugs found as a result (not frequent ones, but....) that several of their users would be happy to not hit. The official kernel has the advantage of a far faster test and fix time cycle than a distro, and has more sophisticated users. The reason for features going into distros first is not technical, and sad.

Hans