Re: Should osst call cdev_alloc()

From: Willem Riede
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 16:18:58 EST

On 10/23/2004 04:56:06 PM, Kai Makisara wrote:
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Willem Riede wrote:

> Currently, sg.c and st.c contain calls to cdev_alloc() and friends:
>
> My question is: should osst do the same? It seems to work just fine
without.

The reason why st.c calls cdev_alloc() directly is that this allows it to
use the large minor numbers (some people want to use more than 32 tapes).
This also used to give presence in sysfs but that is not the case any
more. The devices can be shown in sysfs using device classes (st.c uses
the class_simple_* functions).

Osst does call cdev_alloc() indirectly through register_chrdev(). This is
the link between the "old style" character device allocation and the
current method. As long as register_chrdev() exists, you don't have any
pressing need to change osst unless you want to support more than 256
minors.

Thanks. Given that the Onstream devices were targeted at the low end market, I see no need to support many drives of this type, so I'll leave it as it is.

Willem Riede.