Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Lee Revell
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 17:21:50 EST

On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 19:02 +0200, Rene Herman wrote:
> I see from unichrome.sf.net that they are piecing together register info
> from drivers they got VIA to release...

They are not "piecing it together". They have signed NDA with VIA to
get docs. Many vendors have no objection to open source drivers, they
just want to know who has their chip documentation.

Anyway the 3D support is somewhat lacking, not for lack of information
but for lack of developers. Maybe if you want to improve the 3D driver
then VIA would work with you.

Lee