Re: Writing linux kernel specification

From: Peter Williams
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 18:14:02 EST

Rik van Riel wrote:
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Karel Kulhavy wrote:

3) Is Linux kernel meant to have a specification and just a lack of time
prevented it, or is Linux kernel meant to not have a specification?
4) If I produce a specification that is valid, correct and complete enough
to be useful for general public, will it be included on the Linux kernel
homepage http://www.kernel.org under a link "Linux kernel official
specification" upon my request?

You can write a specification, but I can guarantee you that
it will be out of date the moment you run your spell checker
on it.

Linux kernel development continues at a very high speed, and
things inside the kernel change all the time. The only thing
that's stable is the user space ABI (the system calls), since
the behaviour of those (mostly) follows POSIX and the Single
Unix Standard (SUS).

Maybe that (the mostly bit) is what needs to be documented/specified i.e. any differences between the Linux user space ABI and those two standards. Surely that difference is reasonably stable and having it documented in a single place would be useful.

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- Ambrose Bierce