Re: How is user space notified of CPU speed changes?

From: Joel Becker
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 00:55:25 EST

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 12:35:46AM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> Out of sheer interest, you said you had an example box which did this.
> I've never actually seen a modern SMP setup with different cock
> frequencies (even accepting it's possible) - can you give me a more
> modern example? I'm sure they're out there, I've just missed it, and I
> have to confess to not being aware that Linux supported this kind of
> setup.

I have a dual celeron with a 433 CPU and a 466 CPU in the slots.
It works, as long as you don't rely on TSC synchronicity. Also, IBM
x440 boxes don't sync the TSCs between each group of 4 CPUs (that is,
each group of 4 is synced internally, but different from each other
group of 4).

Joel

--

"Vote early and vote often."