Re: Concerns about our pci_{save,restore}_state()

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 01:13:38 EST

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
- What about saving/restoring more registers ? I'm not sure wether it
should be the responsibility of the driver to save and restore things
above dword 15, but we should at least deal with the case of P2P bridges
who have more "standard" registers

This is a key concern of mine.

The _driver_ is the only entity that knows really how much space to save/restore, and the generic versions are obviously _not_ sufficient to support:

* hardware errata such as S3 Trio, where _reading_ or writing certain registers in the standard range cause a system lockup

* saving/restoring the standard-defined capability lists, which certainly could extend way beyond what's stored now

* saving/restoring the new PCI-Express 4K config area

This is _clearly_ something that should be decided upon in the driver. The PCI layer should _only_ present standard helper functions, and maybe a standard storage space that works for most drivers; not force all drivers through a narrow funnel.

Jeff