Re: bttv hang problem on 2.6.8

From: Gerd Knorr
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 14:32:14 EST

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 05:03:49PM +0200, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> (please CC on replies, I'm not on the list)
>
> Hi,
>
> When there is a background thread doing VIDIOCSYNC in a loop, issuing
> VIDIOCSPICT in the current thread on the same file descriptor causes
> it to go into uninterruptable sleep and hang. This is on kernel 2.6.8
> using the bttv driver, and appears easily reproducible.

Don't do that. bttv serializes ioctls with a lock. Well, not all of
them, but the ones which change the state of the filehandle, and both
VIDIOCSYNC + VIDIOCSPICT fall into that group. You simply can't run
them in parallel on the same filehandle.

Gerd

--
#define printk(args...) fprintf(stderr, ## args)