Re: Gigantic memory leak in linux-2.6.[789]!

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 17:17:47 EST

Tommy Reynolds wrote:
Uttered Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>, spake thus:

With all the work Nick, Ingo,Con and others are putting into latency and responsiveness, I don't understand why anyone thinks this is desirable behavior. The idle loop is the perfect place to perform things like this, to convert non-productive cycles into performing tasks which will directly improve response and performance when the task MUST be done.

Bill, with respect,

The idle loop is, by definition, the place to go when there is
nothing else to do. Scrubbing memory is, by definition, not
"nothing", so leave the idle loop alone.

That's why God, or maybe it was Linus, invented kernel threads.

Did you really not know what I meant here, or are you being pedantic about the nomenclature? Yes, obviously implement by thread(s) with priority lower than whale shit, the object of which is to do the work when no process is waiting for the CPU, and in very small steps so the CPU isn't tied up.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)