Re: Linux 2.6.9-ac3

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 18:58:04 EST

Luca Risolia wrote:
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 10:54:25 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Luca Risolia wrote:

o Restore PWC driver (Luc Saillard)

This driver does decompression in kernel space, which is not
allowed. That part has to be removed from the driver before
asking for the inclusion in the mainline kernel.

What do you mean by "not allowed?"

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-video&m=108627734619978&w=2

Also note how Alan Cox seems not to be actually coherent with his
previous opinions.

If you're a Republican he's "wishy-washy", if you're a Democrat he's "flexible and adaptable to changing conditions." If you're not a US resident you're confused by the previous sentence, please ignore it's an in-joke (or tragedy).

Clearly it would nice if it were in

user space, but it would have to be in EVERY user application to be useful. We have compression in kernel for ppp, and there's only one significant use for that, requiring that every application support every vendor hardware makes it a non-scalable NxM problem.

Hmm..What about a common library finally?

That sounds like the eventual solution. A vendor to common format conversion library, and with luck someone will be clever and let the driver select it in a nice acceptable way. Thought: after open an ioctl to tell you which conversion to use? The optimal mechanics are inobvious, but I think the library is the right idea.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)