Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Tonnerre
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 23:35:29 EST

Salut,

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 06:38:48PM +0200, Lars Roland wrote:
> As I said, it should have enough 3D features to be used together with
> xorg both now and in the future - so you should look hard at what
> Longhorn /Mac OS X have done and decide what features to implement. I
> do not care if it can run doom3 or not, I have yet to come across a
> graphic card that can run the latest games and have decent Linux
> support (this is especially true when you are running dual head).

You don't want good Longhorn support, as currently at least Longhorn
still uses the proprietary GDI 2D drawing algorithms, and DirectDraw
in rare cases. MacOS/X does the drawing and effects in OpenGL, which
is what you want. As will X.Org. So you want OpenGL support, and
you'll be done. (Once framebuffers are being drawn in OpenGL as well,
which isn't impossible to happen.)

Maybe we'll need a graphics card that does OpenGL *only*...

Tonnerre