hddtemp hangs with USB SCSI disks; blk_execute_rq again

From: Meelis Roos
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 00:52:41 EST

Hi,

hddtemp startup script hangs on my machine. Just the hddtemp process is
in D state (blk_execute_rq) and unkillable, other processes run fine.
The startup script calls hddtemp -wn /dev/sda. /dev/sda
is a CF slot in a USB 6-in-1 memory card reader, currently empty.
/proc/partitions shows only 2 ide disks.

Since hddtemp is not converted to SG_IO yet, the kernel logs
program hddtemp is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO
but this should not cause hddtemp to hang.

This is another case of process hanging in blk_execute_rq, see the
recent thread "readcd hangs in blk_execute_rq" (also reported by me but
about a different computer).

I have noticed it some weeks ago but didn't have time then to
investigate and disabled hddtemp. Today I looked at it again and now I'm
reporting it.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@xxxxxxxx)