Re: My thoughts on the "new development model"

From: Chuck Ebbert
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 00:53:38 EST

Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I don't see the need for a development kernel, and it is desirable to be
> able to run kernel.org kernels.

Problem is, kernel.org 'release' kernels are quite buggy. For example 2.6.9
has a long list of bugs:

- superio parports don't work
- TCP networking using TSO gives memory allocation failures
- s390 has a serious security bug (sacf)
- ppp hangup is broken with some peers
- exec leaks POSIX timer memory and loses signals
- auditing can deadlock
- O_DIRECT and mmap IO can't be used together
- procfs shows the wrong parent PID in some cases
- i8042 fails to initialize with some boards using legacy USB
- kswapd still goes into a frenzy now and then

Sure, the next release will (may?) fix these bugs, but it will definitely
add a whole set of new ones.

--Chuck Ebbert 26-Oct-04 01:36:21