Re: ext3 oops (probably I/O congestion/starvation related), alreadysolved?

From: Roberto Nibali
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 04:09:58 EST

Hello Jens,

Thanks for your reply.

Just to be on the safe side, have you reproduced it without?

Nope, I would first like to backup the data since this trace got me pretty scared and I care about the data on this disk. So I bought a DVD-R burner and I'm now happily doing my 160GB of backup.

Just
because nvidia doesn't show up in the trace, doesn't mean it hasn't
corrupted memory elsewhere.

Fair enough.

00200200 is the list deletion poison, double remove of a list and in
this case the timer base. That's pretty bad news.

So please do try and reproduce without the nvidia module.

I will try, for sure and I'll post back my results if I can make it oops again.. However I don't know how to reproduce it. I showed up once or twice during high I/O and while I was writing to and reading from disk over ieee1394. Could it also be a bad cable? The I/O is also dog slow when writing to disk, reading is like 15 MBytes/s.

This is also a list related issue:

if (!list_empty(&sbi->s_orphan))
dump_orphan_list(sb, sbi);
J_ASSERT(list_empty(&sbi->s_orphan));

I'll also try a new firewire cable, since most of the times (in my experience) the cable has been the source of all problems. Normally the disk gets only remounted RO during deletion of files (this is a really irritating thing right now, I can't delete my files over ieee1394) which seems to prevent this kind of oops.

Thanks and best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc