Re: Versioning of tree

From: Ryan Anderson
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 07:28:33 EST

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 12:49:02PM +0100, David Vrabel wrote:
> Ryan Anderson wrote:
> >
> >Well, here's a patch that adds -BKxxxxxxxx to LOCALVERSION when a
> >top-level BitKeeper tree is detected.
> >[...]
> > LOCALVERSION = $(subst $(space),, \
> > $(shell cat /dev/null $(localversion-files)) \
> >+ $(subst ",,$(localversion-bk)) \
>
> Surely there's no need for this? Can't the script spit out an
> appropriate localversion* file instead?

It can, and yes, my first version used that method.

Except it never worked. I was able to generate the file before
include/linux/version.h was rebuilt, but failed to get it picked up in
that. I'm not really sure why.

For what it's worth, "make deb-pkg" picks up the version correctly using
this method:
dpkg-deb: building package `linux-2.6.10-rc1-bkd581e3d1' in
`../linux-2.6.10-rc1-bkd581e3d1_2.6.10-rc1-BKd581e3d1_i386.deb'.

> Tools like Debian's make-kpkg have to work out the kernel version (for
> use in the package name etc.) and it would be preferable if the method
> for generating the version didn't change too often.

Well, I didn't think make-kpkg was doing anything horribly unexpected,
so I didn't to test that. I'll do a test run now to see what happens,
though.

--

Ryan Anderson
sometimes Pug Majere