Re: Some discussion points open source friendly graphics [was:HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?]

From: linux-os
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 10:27:44 EST

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:

> Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> > Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> >>Will the capability to apply these updates be included with the base card?
> >>Will users need to purchase additional "update FPGA" hardware to do the
> >>reprogramming?
> >

> > Also, what if the reprogramming goes wrong? Do I just throw the
> > card away or will there be some form of recovery possible?
> >

> For those who are taking the risk of reprogramming it completely,
> they'll already have read the schematics and instructions for using an
> external device to program the PROM.
>
> For everyone else, it's the same problem you get when programming a
> motherboard goes awry. When the BIOS is hosed, you can't use the MB
> until you replace the chip.
>
> For cost reasons, we likely wouldn't socket the chip, so you'd probably
> have to send it in for an RMA. We'd reprogram it, and send it back. Or
> if you have a friend with the right tools, they can do it.

Normally you use a boundary-scan (JTAG) serial header so you can program,
reprogram, debug the chip. FPGA development tools expect (require)
this.

Check out http:/www.macraigor.com/full_gnu.htm for their GNU tools
and devices, designed for Linux (and M$).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 GrumpyMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.