Re: The naming wars continue...

From: Tonnerre
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 11:33:07 EST

Salut,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 06:37:08AM +0000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> There also were a W, and and X1, X2, ... X11.

I know. I didn't say there wasn't. They were all standards of the X
protocol, however.

(Note, however, that there is a tiny difference in the command layout
between the MIT X protocol specifiaction version 11 and the reality.)

> However, there is a tendency for numbers to get stuck (witness Linux
> 2.x). In particular, X11R6 got encoded in many places including
> pathnames for no good reason.

Well, I'm driving my X11 from /opt/xorg and I don't have any problems
yet. Just that the NVidia driver doesn't get it right, but I threw
away my NVidia card in favor of a dual-core Voodoo 5 anyway.

Tonnerre