Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 11:58:16 EST

Jesper Juhl wrote:
I'd say a card with open source drivers and access to detailed
documentation from a company that's willing to work with the Open Source
Software community is a very big first step, and a massive improvement on
the current state of affairs. If we could just get that as a start, then I
for one would be thrilled.

Well, as Alan mentioned, there are already five 3D chipsets out there with docs going to anyone who is serious about implementing a 3D driver for that particular piece of hardware. You need more than just available docs and hardware.

You need...

* engineering resources to implement a complicated driver (3D h/w drivers are complex beasts)

* a compelling design and/or [low] cost

* to avoid the problem where the h/w changes so often, the open source driver maintainers simply cannot keep up.

Jeff