Let's make a small change to the process

From: Paolo Ciarrocchi
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 15:22:22 EST

Hi all,
despite I know you are all bored with the " I know how to improve the
process" email but I want to share with you this idea .-)

Both Andrew and Linus are doing an impressive job so I really don't
think we need to change the way they are working.

What I'm suggesting is start offering 2.6.X:Y kernel, you did for 2.6.8.1 so...

The .Y patchset contains only important security fix (all stuff you
think are important) and is weekly uploaded to kernel.org

Doing that, people:
- can stop running "personal version of vanilla kernel
- don't need to wait till next Linus' release in order to have a
security bug fixed

We, of course, need a maintainer for it,
maybe someone from OSDL (Randy?), maybe wli (he maintained his tree
for a long time), maybe Alan (that is already applying these kind of
fixes to his tree), maybe someone else... ?

Sounds reasonable ?

--
Paolo