Re: Sony S170 + 1GB ram => Yenta: ISA IRQ mask 0x0000

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 18:46:50 EST

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Lincoln D. Durey wrote:

> well, it must be the boot loader, as the kernel didn't add that, and we
> didn't ... looking at the GRUB source ... ARGH: we see in stage2/boot.c in
> that big comment about boot proto 2.03 that grub is indeed adding kernel
> command line options, (even to 2.4.24 and 2.6.8). How can this be? Their
> code says it shouldn't, but it does.

Ok, good to know that the kernel was correct, but it might be worthwhile
trying to debug why grub thinks it should do it's (incorrect) memory map.
Also, I'd suggest somebody send the grub team a patch to remove the whole
damn mess, I doubt anybody who installs a new bootloader is interested in
installing a buggy one.

Pretty much every kernel has done a better job of memory sizing than grub
seems to do, and I suspect even the "pre-2.4.14" case was just a total bug
in grub, and nothing else.

Linus