Re: lowmem_reserve (replaces protection)

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 21:12:21 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

the per-classzone kswapd treshold was very well taken care of in 2.4,
thanks the watermarks embedding the low/min/high and the classzone being
passed up to the kswapd wakeup function.

Kswapd actually should take care of this properly: see the
initial loop before the real scanning loop.

I thought this was a bit subtle, but it seems to work fine,
and Andrew likes it.

I have a patch to explicitly have kswapd use the lower zone
protection watermarks but I haven't really demonstrated it is
better than what is currently there (other than being simpler).