Re: solution Re: lost memory on a 4GB amd64

From: Andreas Klein
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 11:11:53 EST

Hello,

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Sergei Haller wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Andreas Klein (AK) wrote:
>
> Are you sure this is the same problem, that I have? You discovered
> Problems with memtest86:
>
> > Memtest sees 0-2GB mem usable and 4-6GB unusable (complains
> > about each memory address).
>
> I didn't:
>
> > memtest86 is happy with the memory.

Memtest is happy with my memory too, if all 4 modules are installed in the
slots belonging to CPU1. If I install 2 modules for each CPU, memtest86 is
not happy anymore.

> The next difference:
> You have the S2885 (thunder K8W) and S2875S (tiger K8W single processor)
> boards and I have a S2875 (tiger K8W double processor)

The boards are nearly identical (on-board lan is different, and your
memory-slots are connected to one CPU).
If all memory modules are installed for one CPU, I have your problems.
Additionaly there are some other problems that only occur, when the
modules are installed one pair for each CPU.

Since I have a pre-producion board and bios which is running solid as a
rock, regardless if a SMP/no-SMP kernel is installed, I hope that they
will fix all problems.

> I summarize (again) my problems:
>
> Independantly of the memory settings in the BIOS:
> - non-SMP Kernel is stable
> - memtest86 does not report any errors
>
> If the memory (4GB) is set up in one block (0-4GB) in the BIOS, then
> - SMP Kernel is stable
>
> If the memory (4GB) is set up in two blocks (eg. 0-3GB, 4-5GB) in the
> BIOS, then
> - SMP Kernel is stable _if_and_only_if_ NUMA is _disabled_.
>

> BTW.: I won't be able to flash a new BIOS to our machine, since it is in
> production use and runs _rock_stable_ with _full_memory_ after we
> _disabled_ NUMA support in the kernel. (see the two small programs posted
> by me and by Andi Kleen)
>
> What I COULD do is running some tests if needed. (e.g. to check if the
> Board/BIOS is lying about its capabilities)
>

> Sergei
> --

-- Andreas Klein
asklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx