Re: news about IDE PIO HIGHMEM bug

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 14:27:03 EST

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 02:33:45PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Why bother mapping anything larger than a page, when none of the users
> need it?
> P.S. In your scheme you would need four helpers; you forgot kmap_sg()
> and kunmap_sg().

This is all a non-issue. The page structure just represents little more
than a physical address to the block layer in the context of merging,
so the pfn_to_page(page_to_pfn(...) + ...) bits calculate this properly.
There is just nothing interesting going on here. Generate the page
structure for the piece of the segment, kmap_atomic() it, and it's done.

-- wli