Re: The naming wars continue...

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 14:36:37 EST

Barry K. Nathan wrote:
On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 05:32:16PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

Linus Torvalds wrote:

[snip]

Which is just another reason why the name itself is not that meaningful. It can never carry the kind of information that people seem to _expect_ it to carry.

I wasn't going to reply to this since it's your call and I've had my say, but since several others have, let me throw out one more idea on the off chance you like it:

Stop doing the pre's on the next version! After 2.6.10 comes 2.6.10.1 etc, which everyone can see are incremental changes to 2.6.10, and when you really mean it, then put out 2.6.11-rc1.

Did that strike a nerve?

2.6.10.1, etc. suggests important bug fixes for 2.6.10, *not* prereleases
of 2.6.11. But... perhaps (with sufficient warning) the even/odd principle
could be applied to the third number. So, this would happen:

2.6.10.1 suggests nothing, that convention was used ONCE in the 2.6 series. I liked the -pre convention as it was, but Linus has dropped that in spite of several hundred instances of its use. From that I conclude that if Linus like 2.6.10.1 he will use it, and if not we will have -rc releases which aren't release candidates. His call.

I personally think it will slow development because some people tested the -rc releases harder, but that's not decided by vote.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)