Re: The naming wars continue...

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 15:32:35 EST

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, l_linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > which is a hell of a lot more descriptive, in my opinion.
>
> Indeed. But you hide this kind of information very carefully.
> Announcing with a subject like this one isn't very descriptive.

But that _wasn't_ in this idiotic thread.

The subject line of my announcement was

Subject: Linux 2.6.9-rc4 - pls test (and no more patches)

and the body was

Ok,
trying to make ready for the real 2.6.9 in a week or so, so please give
this a beating, and if you have pending patches, please hold on to them
for a bit longer, until after the 2.6.9 release. It would be good to have
a 2.6.9 that doesn't need a dot-release immediately ;)

The appended shortlog gives a pretty good idea of what has been going on.
Mostly small stuff, with some architecture updates and an ACPI update
thrown in for good measure.

(plus the shortlog).

Not exactly "hidden", was it?

And to everybody complaining about "-rcX" - people don't want to break
existing scripts, so the naming possibilities are either "-pre" or "-rc".
And we've used "-rc" for the whole 2.6.x series, so there had better be a
_good_ reason to change the naming.

So far, nobody has had a good reason. People are just complaining, because
this is an area where you can complain without actually having any real
hard technical input. It's "easy" to have an opinion.

So guys, look at the big picture. Is this really worth worrying over?

Linus