Dual Opteron box, what's the optimal memory placement for the CPUs?

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 16:37:17 EST

Quick question,

I've got an IBM eServer 325 here with 2 Opteron 240 CPUs. The box has 6
DIMM slots, 4 for the "primary" CPU and 2 for the second one. I've got the
following memory sticks : 4x512MB and 2x1GB

My plan is to plug the 4 512MB sticks into the slots for the first CPU and
the 2GB sticks into the two slots for the second CPU, giving them 2GB
each, but I could also give the first one 2x512MB and 2x1GB and the second
one 2x512MB giving the first CPU 3GB and the second 1GB. Does it matter at
all, and if it does, what's the optimal configuration?

--
Jesper Juhl