Re: The naming wars continue... [u]

From: Martin Schlemmer [c]
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 16:49:52 EST

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 13:35 -0700, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> Martin Schlemmer [c] wrote:

> >>/opt/X (or /usr/X) is really what it probably should be.
> >>

> > Except if I am missing something, it is (or was) to be able to
> > distinguish between versions that broke protocol compatibility ...
> > so except if the protocol will never change again, it should really
> > stay as is, and the apps should actually just start to use /usr/bin/X11
> > and /usr/lib/X11 that points to the latest or most stable instead of
> > the versioned directories ...
>
> This won't get fixed on lkml.
> If you want to contribute in this area, try LSB/FHS etc. & Please do.

While I appreciate the thought, I should admit that I was only trying
to be the local smart-ass, so I have to decline to go on the LSB/FHS
crusade :/ Maybe one of the others before me would be so kind.

PS: I probably should point out that my use of /usr/bin/X11 and
/usr/lib/X11 for the generic symlinks is not so generic, before
I step on more toes ...

Thanks,

--
Martin Schlemmer