Re: BK kernel workflow

From: Larry McVoy
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 16:51:02 EST

> Note that German copyright lay doesn't differentiate whether you paid
> or not - it only requires that you allowed to use the program.

Sure, but you aren't allowed to use it if you are going to do this.
That's pretty unambiguous as well and we think we can make it stick,
or at least that's what the lawyers have told me.

It's most unfortunate that people take the position "hey, I can rip off
your stuff, here's the law that says so" when it is something we gave
them to use for free. All that means is that we stopped improving the
free version and put all the effort into the commercial version because
we just can't afford the risk exposure.

All of the "we can do whatever we want" statements may well be true, I
don't really know and don't really care. But the fact that people take
the attitude that it's OK to bite the hand that feeds you is doing nothing
but shooting yourself in the foot. What are we supposed to do in the face
of "I can rip you off, here's the law"? Give you more stuff to copy?
--
---
Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com http://www.bitkeeper.com