Re: Some discussion points open source friendly graphics [was: HARDWARE:Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?]

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 10:53:04 EST

linux-os wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Daniel Phillips wrote:

On Monday 25 October 2004 18:45, Timothy Miller wrote:

My intention is to include a bit of logic in the FPGA which can be used
to reprogram the prom. You would then cycle power to get the FPGA to
load the new code.

Power cycle the whole machine, or software-reset the card?

Regards,

Daniel

The FPGA requires a physical reset-pin toggle to load new
bits into the gate-array. This could be software-toggled,
but that would require at least one external gate. This
is because the power-reset needs to reset the chip before
its bits are loaded plus some pin, after loading, needs to
be an output to its reset pin also. Therefore, you need
the external gate that is always present.

Generally speaking, more chips == bad. If reprogramming the FPGA were a regular event, I'd see the point, but I hope that MOST users would NEVER have to reprogram it.