Re: [2.6 patch] usbnet.c: remove an unused function

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 20:29:08 EST

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 04:17:30PM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> On Thursday 28 October 2004 17:28, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > [ this time without the problems due to a digital signature... ]
> >
> > The patch below removes an unused function from drivers/usb/net/usbnet.c
>
> Actually in this case I'd rather leave the function there;
> the documentation on this chip is hard to find, and this
> function will be needed when someone finally spends the time
> to fix some of the init/reset handshake issues for these
> PL2301/2302 chips. The current init code cloned some
> very ancient code from about the 2.2.10 (!) or so kernel.

OK.

> - Dave
>
> p.s. Last I looked, GCC ignored unused inlines; no code
> generated, no warnings. Did that change?

It didn't change.

But there are three different possible reactions on my patches:
1. ACK, kill this dead code
2. ups, I really wanted to use this function
3. please keep, code using this function will/might follow in the future

Case 1 is the most common case (and this simply removes some dead code).

I had until now two times case 2 (which means the code is now better).

You are the first person for case 3.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.