Re: net: generic netdev_ioaddr

From: Pekka J Enberg
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 20:43:04 EST

Hi,

Al Viro writes:
NAK. ->base_addr casting is a Bad Idea(tm) and natsemi "solution" isn't
(thanks for spotting that crap in natsemi, though; will fix...)

Note that there is no such thing as "generic IO base address" - it _is_
private and in the best case current ->base_addr is a scratch register
probably used for something vaguely connected with some IO, but it's
really up to driver...

Yup, I thought about that after I sent the patch. However, as it stands now, many network drivers use netdev->base_addr for just that. Perhaps it should be nuked completely instead?

Pekka