Re: ext3 error with 2.6.9-rc4

From: CaT
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 22:56:11 EST

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 05:51:10PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > Oct 13 00:17:03 nessie kernel: EXT3-fs error (device hdh1): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #3522561: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=4084, inode=3523431, rec_len=0, name_len=0
>
> All this really tells us is that there's something bogus on disk, not
> how it got there.
>
> There are tools like "dt" which may help identify whether there's data
> going bad on the way to disk, or whether it might be a fs fault.
>
> http://www.bit-net.com/~rmiller/dt.html

Thanks for that. A new utlitity to learn. :) Anyways, after getting my
laptop (and hence my access to email) back after a week I did a fair bit
of testing and the only way I can duplicate the above is by copying from
one hd to another. Further testing has led me to believe that the ext3
error is more of a symptom of data corruption caused in the IDE layer
somewhere rather then anything else.

I've posted a bug wrt to what I've discovered in the ide update thread
(my message before this one).

--
Red herrings strewn hither and yon.