up-to-date locate and glimpse

From: Anton Ertl
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 07:34:44 EST

Rastislav Levrinc and Peter Robinson, two of our students have written
kernel patches and user-level daemons that allow keeping the locate
and/or the glimps database up-to-date. You can find them through

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/rlocate/

Caveats:

- This is stuff done for something like a term project, i.e., to
proof-of-concept standards. On the positive side, we had no crashes
or other unpleasant experiences when we tried it (but we did not try
much). Rastislav Levrinc has written that he wants to maintain this
stuff, but I have not yet seen much activity in that direction.

- The version for the 2.4 kernel (rlocate) does not see file system
activity coming through NFS on an NFS server. It also does not
support glimpse.

- Rlocate does not support slocate security features. Glimpse does
not have similar security features at all (AFAIK).

- anton