Re: BK kernel workflow

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Oct 30 2004 - 20:14:03 EST

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 04:46:19PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:

> > > Sure, but you aren't allowed to use it if you are going to do this.
> > > That's pretty unambiguous as well and we think we can make it stick,
> > > or at least that's what the lawyers have told me.
> >
> > The German copyright law says the licence clauses are invalid - not the
> > licence itself.
> >
> > I'm not sure how a lawyer would circumvent the law...
>
> The flaw here is that you are presuming you have a legal right to use BK
> in the first place. You don't, you only get that right if we grant it
> to you and if you can't agree with the terms you don't get BK. It's
> pretty simple and the terms are pretty reasonable.

As already said:

At least according to German law, the licence is still valid if some of
the licence clauses are void because they violate the law.

If I know that a clause in a treaty is void according to the law, I can
sign the treaty knowing that the clause is void but the treaty is still
valid. The reason behind this is that a company shouldn't have any
advantages from clauses that aren't allowed according to the law.

> As someone pointed out to me in private mail, it is the nature of any
> engineer to try and find a way to do something they are told can't be
> done.
>
> Further more, he told me that he thought a lot of this discussin is
> because people feel like the power of the Linux kernel was shifting
> from Linus to me because of BK. Is that true? Do you guys really
> think that any of this crud gives me control over Linux? Because
> that's certainly not my goal, the whole point was to make sure that
> Linus stayed in charge as long as he wanted.

To clarify things:
- I do not use BK and I do not plan to use it
- I do currently not plan any significant contribution to any
SCM tool
- although I'd be more happy if Linus would use an open source SCM tool,
I can live with the current status quo

It has nothing to do with the question whether I like or dislike BK and
it's licencing - I simply completely dislike it if someone from the USA
thinks laws everywhere in the world are similar to US law. It's more
than a year ago that I first told you that there's no case law in
continental Europe, and to be honest, I'm quite pissed off by your
attitude of still asking for case law in e.g. Germany.

Please, do me a favor and inform yourself about the differences. [1]

cu
Adrian

[1] e.g the Wikipedia article "Civil law (legal system)" gives an
overview over the differences of the different law systems [2]
[2] it was interesting, I didn't know before that different from the
other 49 US states, Louisiana has a civil law system

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed