Raid1 DM vs MD

From: Kianusch Sayah Karadji
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 13:37:34 EST

Hi!

After loosing some Data this week ... the question upon with technology to use for Soft-RAID1 emerged the last days.

So which one is the recomended approach?

Should I use MD or DM?

One benefit on using MD is that one can use it for root-devices without initrd.

But where will the development go?

Will MD be supported in the future or will it be replaced by DM?

Will there be other raid levels supported in DM?

Which one has better Clean/Dirty recognition/detection?

I had one MD-Raid1 where a good copy of the mirror was overwritten by the bad (old) copy ... I lost 3 Month worth of data and I am expecting loosing a linux project and in the worst case - even a court case :(

Questions upon questions.

Sooner or later I'l migrate from SW-Raid to a HW-Raid-Controller ...

Thanx
Kianusch

---
SK-TECH.net