Re: Small Help required!!!

From: David Stevens
Date: Mon Nov 01 2004 - 21:51:28 EST

netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/30/2004 08:32:55 AM:

> hi,
> I needed some information about how to proceed with implementing a Name
> Switch Server plugin that
> allows to resolve multicast DNS names using normal libc calls(such as
> gethostbyname()).

> If someone has knowledge in this regard,please mail me back.

I think this will already work as-is. All you should need to do is
register the multicast address in the DNS server.

Have you tried it? Some well-known multicast addresses (like NTP's) are
commonly registered with root servers already.

I haven't tried using "gethostbyame()" on a multicast address that is
registered, but I'm not aware of any checks on the class of the address
in any of the code.

+-DLS